Saturday, May 13, 2006

The week of May 7-May 13: "Life Goes On"



On to San Antonio to attend the funeral of my father-in-law:

I took a red eye on Saturday (midnight) with Kris and Danielle. We arrived in Dallas at 5:30 am (3:30 am our time). Then, we picked up a rental car by 7:00 and drove to San Antonio. It was a 5 hour drive but it was cheaper to do it that way then to fly all the way. We've been going broke on airline tickets. Anyway, Maya was not there when we got there so I went on a 4 mile run to get the cobwebs out of my head. Then next morning, before going to the funeral home, I went on a 5 mile run. There would have been time to squeeze in more running (Tues-Thurs) but I decided that it was more important to visit with family and be by my wife's side - so I gave up on the idea. Maya didn't say anything one way or the other although she expected me to run I'm sure.

Thursday was the trip in reverse. We left San Antonio at 9:30 am and drove to Dallas. We got there early but that was the plan ... we just chilled in the airport - watched DVDs on my laptop. We got home that night at about 9:30 pm.

I was still off on Friday so I took Danielle to school and went for a long, SLOW, run (twice around Lake Youngs). I felt pretty good ... ran every step of the way and without pain, so I was happy with that.

Saturday, I drug my butt out of bed and ran with the Dick Decker crew at Lake Wilderness. They run 14 miles on the Cedar River trail. My plan was to run with the slow group. I needed to get in a decent weekend of running since I ran zero last weekend - and I wanted to do it without getting hurt. So slow, as I said, was the plan. The lead group started out slow and there were a few of us straglers. I had played softball Friday night so soreness held me back at first. I actually felt pretty good after a slow half mile and the lead group was still just right ahead (maybe 100 yds). So, I caught up with them since they were at a leasurely pace. The 6 of us ran comfortably; it was a beautiful day. I noticed that my legs were lifting more than I thought they should for such a slow pace. Eventually I realized that we had be steadily picking it up. I promised myself to let them go if I felt even a twinge. We were near the turn around when I had to pull of into the bushes. I started running again and soon saw the others on the way back ... so I turned with them. The pace was quicker now but I still felt ok. A couple of miles from the finish, I started to get a sore right hammy so I pulled back. Afterwards, I found out they threw in a couple of 7 minute miles ... no wonder. Their over all pace was 7:35 ... not bad for gravel trail, and me in my heavy trail shoes. I figure I ran 12 with the others and then ran the last 2 miles at "dog slow" pace. I didn't care as I had planned to do all 14 at that pace in the first place.

Got home and put 5 hours of work into the yard (I think I'm burnt), before taking a shower but not until I started a pot of coffee.

I should have eaten as I almost fainted several times in the yard. But I'm stuborn about that. My MO is that if I eat, I quit working; and I didn't want to quit until I was satisfied that the yard looked good for Maya.



So, 14 miles and 5 hours of yard work on a power bar and banana breakfast and 4 cups of coffee. I know "what a dork!"

Well anyway, Maya will be happy to see that her house and yard are presentable when she gets home.



Training for this week:

Sunday: 4 miles road in 85 degree heat and humidity to match.
Monday: 5 miles road in the "cool" of the morning
Tuesday: 0
Wednesday: 0
Thursday: 0
Friday: 19 miles - 2 Lake Youngs loops / Softball game (we won 10-9)
Saturday: 14 miles (mostly at 7:30 pace)
Total Weekly: 42

5 comments:

Backofpack said...

Hey TC! Glad you are back in town and getting back to the routine. It's always hard after a trip like that. We ran at Lake Youngs this morning - a first for me, though others have done it before. My friend and I just did an out and back for a total of 1:25. Next time I'm going to plan to do the whole loop - it was awfully nice!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the trip was a safe one. Sounds like we both have issues with not eating enough while exercising and working.

Olga said...

Shame on you for going calories-less! Who is rookie here? We all are!! :)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»