Sunday, May 21, 2006

Good soreness - Yes there's such a thing as ...

Well, the Watershed 12 hour run was yesterday. Things went off better than expected for a lot of reasons. The threat of rain loomed over us from the start. However, clouds slowly turned into partly cloudy and finally just plain sunshine.

My main goal was to run today without aggravating my injury. Mileage wise, my primary goal was 50 miles (happy goal); Secondary 60 miles (feel great goal); and tertiary, pretty much the same as secondary, 100K (fantasy goal).

The race plan was to start out easy and pick up the pace if possible the second half. Well, that plan failed miserable as the lead pack was going oh so slow (everything's relative) and I couldn't keep away from the friendly banter of Kendall Kreft, Mark Hartinger, and the "infamous" Jim Kerby. Also in the pack was Tim Stroh and well known and talented Canadian ultra runner Rob Lang.

Van Phan and Alex had decided, wisely, to let us go and run their own smart races. I thought of the possible problem with the way I was running (too fast?) and put it out of my mind for a while. The first two laps were in 47 minutes; when Mark told me that was faster than ANY of the laps he had done in his record setting 71 mile year, I put on the brakes. Kerby, on the other hand, laid down the hammer while the others (less Tim), maintained. Tim and I were having a nice conversation about NW ultras and the Plain 100 miler and he was fine to stay back with me. Our pace was still not what I wanted to do and I soon felt the urge to head to the restroom, which I took as an opportunity to slow down and get my race back on track.

Now, starting the 4th loop, I was all alone and running more how I wanted to run. I felt good still and did not feel like the fast loops hurt me that much but was sure they would haunt me in the long haul. I put Michael Jackson on my iPod and my legs on cruise control. I lost myself in music and other thoughts entered my mind. Soon Alex came by and remarked how I had relinquished my lead (inside joke - during the first loop, I pulled ahead of him for just second to say "hey, I'm leading").

After that loop, I saw Van coming out of the short loop before I had entered it. That meant she was .72 miles ahead of me. She gave me a strange look and I said, "You're ahead of me." She got ahead while I was taking my time in the men's room.

Loops 5 & 6 were nothing to write about. Towards the end of my 6th loop (50K), Kerby and Mark came cruising by. I thought, If I keep from getting lapped by them again for 4 more laps, I would be happy. Mostly because that would mean I'd completed over 50 miles.

I was going pretty slow but fine with my progress and the way I was feeling. One thing to note, I took Ibuprofin after loops 3 & 6. Not for pain but as a precaution. I'll explain why I didn't continue that later in the report.

On loops 7 to 9, I seemed to be getting progressively stronger. The early loops were getting further behind me and the slower loops helped out. I had abandoned the iPod somewhere after lap 7 and was content with the solitude, the sounds of the trail and my breathing.

I had been making it a point to eat something (power bar or gel if nothing else) each loop. In the aid station usually just filled my EMPTY water bottle and grabbed some watermelon or cantaloupe. I had also started taking Succeed tabs every loop and eventually started to take 2 as it got warmer.

During the 8th loop, my mind started working the clock and I felt like I could easily make 10 loops (53.375 miles) before 10 hours. This is important only in that the rules state that you cannot start on a big loop (5.375 miles) after the race hits 10 hours - and I'd rather run a big loop than a bunch of little loops. Well, I then reminded myself that I didn't have a whole lot of training for this and might be just walking by then ... in otherwords, "one loop at a time dude!"

I noted my 8th loop time which was a wapping 1:05. I picked it up on the 9th loop although I had 2:22 to make 2 loops. I came in and I had run 1:03 - sheesh, it sure seemed like I had picked in up more than that. Well, ends up I had picked it up too much. On my 10th loop, I all of the sudden started getting dizzy and sweating A LOT. Was I finished with my race or just bonking? I didn't eat at the aid station so I pulled out a power bar and started eating. While I was walking, I determined based on the time I had come into the aid station, that I had hit 50 miles at just around 9 hours. I was very happy with that. Well, now that I knew I had bonked and it was too late to recover, I did my best to make it through the rest of the loop.

A couple of miles later, "Bam!" I bonked again. I was discouraged a bit but tried to remind myself that I had already met my primary goal and that my injury was still not bothering me. While I was bonking, Mark looped me for the second time. He gave me some words of encouragement and moved on. I determined that when I got back to the aid station that I needed to sit down and eat. I was bummed because I knew that I wouldn't be able to get out and do another big loop if I sat there and ate. Less than a mile from the end of this, the longest loop of the day for me, I had an epiphany. I could get into the aid station, have someone make me a sandwich while I got over the line, officially starting my next loop. I could do that and then decide on whether to do the big loop or go with the smaller loops.

I trudged into the aid station with more than 4 minutes left. I asked someone to please make me a sandwich while I filled my water bottle, stuffed a cup cake (yummy) down my throat, and ate whatever I could put my hands on. I grabbed the sandwich and was over the line with a minute to spare. Walking out, I decided that I would go for the 11 big loop. I would walk until I finished eating the sandwich and trudge forward. I finished the sandwich in no time, which attests to how good my stomach was doing. But, I was too full to start running just yet, so I ate another gel - why not!

Finally running again, I had renewed energy, but no legs. I walked until I could run and ran until I had to walk. The going was slow but I felt positive the whole way. I had taken 1:19 or more to complete the last lap. I figured if I could power walk 14 minute miles and still make better time. So, I decided to power walk when I could no longer run. I had been a bit conservative with the running so that I could give one last push in the end. That got me in at an 1:16 - slow but I felt great!

When I was doing the small loop and the end of the big loop, I saw Van just ahead of me ... still trucking away. I was sure she was getting close to 70 miles. Seeing her inspired me to pick it up to the end of this loop. I caught her and asked if she had 70 yet. She said she needed 3 more small loops and over 45 minutes to do it in. I told her I had to do about 4 loops to get 100K. I pulled ahead of her with renewed enthusiasm.

At the end of the 11th big loop, I dropped my wasted pack and water bottle on the move and just kept going. I was in crunch mode and was feeling good. I always seem to have something left for the little loops and I don't know where it comes from.

I moved quickly through the small loops and asked Michael Cartwright how many small loops to hit 100K. He told me he would figure it out while I was on my next loop ... sooner than he knew it, I was back. "How many loops to go?" He told me he still hadn't figure it out so to "just run faster!" Smart ass!!! So, of course, I did. After the 3rd small loop, Michael tells me, "2 more Tony and time's on your side." I put in 2 more quick loops, stumbling and running into no less than 3 runners (and Arthur like 3 times). At the end of the 5th small loop and 100K for me, I was ready to jump for joy. But wait!

All who had called it quits but were still hanging around cheering on Mark to do another loop. And, of course, they told me "You have 8 and a half minutes. One more loop Tony!" Mark had told me "One more," as well and I couldn't refuse the champ. So, I put my triumphant arms down and turned quickly and made the turn to head back out. I quickly calculated that I was running under 7 minute loops, so I figured I could relax ... a little. I walked the little climb of stairs and got back to it. This was the only time I had walked any of the small loops. As I came into ear shot, I could hear everyone cheering Mark ... then I heard "1 minute." Whoa! I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. Tom Ripley yells, "Run faster Tony." I knew he would NOT give me a break even if I was 1 second late so I started sprinting the uphill climb. I turned the last corner and was grinding it out. As I approached, Tom said, "You don't have to run THAT fast." Grrrr! That just made me sprint even harder. To the finish with over a minute left. Don't they know it's mean to torture dumb animals!

Well, I felt exhausted but oh so happy too. I was not in pain (hence, no need for ibuprofin) but was I sore! This is a good sorenes for sure.

Partial unofficial results (in miles):

Mark Hartinger - 76.4 (first masters male -new masters mens record)
Alex Swanson - 72.42
Van Phan - 70.98 (first open female - new womans record)
Tony Covarrubias - 63.45 (just another 100K in the park)
Tom Jackson - 62.73
Arthur M. - 59.51 (first open male)

Training/Racing for this week:

Sunday: 0
Monday: 6 miles road
Tuesday: 80 minutes - 8 miles
Wednesday: 4 miles road / 20 minutes elliptical trainer - 6 miles
Thursday: 60 minutes - 6 miles
Friday: 0
Saturday: 63 miles

Total Weekly: 89 miles

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy things went well and the injury stayed at bay. Sounds like you made the right call running this versus Cap City.

Backofpack said...

Wow! Great job Tony! Reaching the fantasy goal...a good day.

Kendall K said...

Way to tough it out tc. I was happy with 7 laps under 6 hours. Stopping was the right choice for me. Plus, the rest of the day went well, too. KRK

Olga said...

Yowser! That is some running out there! How do you manage to oop around so many times? And Van is phenomenal, totally! Well, congrats to all, great race, glad you had no pain and achieved all your goals and some:)

Anonymous said...

Nice going tc! Keep up the cross trianing. Injuries don't heal over night. Be weary of the roads. tp!

Tony C said...

Thanks all for the comments! This run was so encouraging to me ... I still need to come up with a strategy for training that will work without hurting myself. NO ROADS seems to be the key right now. *tc

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»