This is not a running related post but I'm including it here because ... well, just because.
There are those who love to drive fast - I drive in the slow lane. Running down hill on technical trail scares the life out of me. Riding a bike at 42 mph down hill is not even in my vocabulary (Kendall says it's a "hoot").
Well, where I differ is that I get excited about the things that most people don't. For example, I couldn't wait to have kids, wanted a bunch of them (unfortunately, my wife didn't and now I have to wait for grandchilren); I looked forward to the teen years where most people fear them; I loved when my son Kris was learning to drive (he's now 20 and has been driving for 5 years), and now my youngest (Danielle turned 15 on April 10th) has her learner's permit. Woo-hoo! I took her out onto the open road yesterday in my wife's Tundra. See now that's what I call a hoot! She was freaked (my wife and my daughter) but Danielle kept the car on the road, didn't come close to hitting anything or anyone, got honked at twice and flipped off once. So all-in-all a good experience for both of us.
And, that WASN'T even the most exciting thing that happened in my life this weekend.
Friday, my oldest daughter (Ashley) informed me that she and her husband of 2 years are expecting. I couldn't resist the question, "expecting what?" I was so jazed!!! I couldn't wait to tell people. I'm going to be a grandpa (I'm trying to come up with a good name for myself and so far I'm leaning towards "Grand-daddy-t"). Maya is having none of it - she's playing the "step-mom" card so she can avoid the "grandma" title but she is having fun with calling me "grandpa." It's all good! No, it's all great!!!
I looked in the mirror this morning and thought I saw more gray hairs but Danielle told me it was my imagination. Oh well, I'll keep trying - com'on grays hairs, you can do it.

5 comments:
A big congratulations to you and your daughter, tc. I can totally understand your excitement. Although, with an 8 year-old, it's almost like having a grand child already. And it is also true that I have been confused with being her grandfather, not her dad. So, would you like a few of my gray hairs or would you prefer the totally white ones? =>KRK
Congratulations Grand-daddy-t!
I was an odd ball among my friends as well as I was always hoping to get married and start having kids. I wanted 6, my wife wanted 2 and somehow we ended up with 4.
I have been thinking of running with music on the Rainier to Pacific as well, but have not fully decided yet. I am not sure I can go that long alone with my thoughts.
Wow, Grand-daddy-t! Congrats, congrats, congrats! I'm ready for Grandparent-hood, but not. After all my boys are only 17 and 19, so I really hope I have a few years. In the meantime, our running club is having a baby boom, so I've got plenty to play with - not to mention all the preschoolers I work with.
I am ipodless and happily so. I don't have any intentions of getting one - I prefer the quiet when I run. For that matter, I prefer quiet in the car and at home too. Plus, I think for a woman, for safety, I need to be aware when I run and as you mentioned in your previous post, the ipod makes it hard to hear. In a race is probably safe, but not on regular runs by myself.
Hey, how about G-*tc? So cool! I can't believe you gonna be a grandpa!
Well, when Danielle is all good with her driving, come teach my kids:) Though I don't freak out about it, my husband does. At the same time he let the younger climb a 5.8 crack last weekend!
Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»
Post a Comment