Wow, it's really getting close to game day and things are still going back and forth. I'm having good weeks and bad weeks. Sometimes I feel like I'm putting wax on an old beater car and polishing it up; every once in a while, I'll put in some premium gas to make the engine sound better. But in fact, I'm still driving the old beater.
Sore body ...
After having to walk downhills at Mt Si, I became worried about the last 20 miles of States. I had the same problem at the end of CCC - I was able to run some but had to stop every once in a while to give my hips a break. So, I decided to go back to physical therapy. I'm now working with Cliff Richards. For those who don't know Cliff, he's about my age and still runs like a 2:45 marathon. He also happens to be Van Phan's brother in-law. Cliff has been working with me to put my tilted hip back in place (same issue as last year). He's also giving me some help on my hamstrings, which are weak and always tight. That's helping some but now the strains are moving and it's difficult to get ahead of them.
Set back again ...
A week and a half ago, I strained my left glute. I was 8 miles into a fast 10 mile run when I noticed that it started to get sore. I slowed down just a bit but it was probably too late. The next day, I suffered through a mile and turned around to start walking home. I saw Cliff the next day and told him about the problem. We came to the conclusion that it had to do with my stiff lower back. I still think it's just another thing exposing my weaknesses in my core area. I told Cliff I was planning a 12 summits run for Saturday (5/5) and he said, "Let's see how that goes and I'll see you on Monday."
12 summits? ... the beater dies ...
I know what you're thinking. Since I started this out comparing my body to that of an old, beater car, you're thinking I couldn't make my 12 summits. Well, that's half true. Danielle was taking her drive test for her licence that day and she took my Subaru. I took the "beater" Honda and made it to the 231st exit on Hwy 18 before the car decided it was finished. Frustrated I got out, grabbed my wallet and cell phone, and started towards home. Since I had taken Friday off, my last run was the 1 miler on Thursday, so this was kind of a mixed blessing. I strapped on my running belt, so I had bars and gels if necessary (I was only 10 miles away but whatever), I brought one of my water bottles, and of course, I had my iPod to keep me company. Since I had planned on being on Tiger for 7-8 hours anyway, I thought this presented me with an opportunity to take things reaaaaal sloooow and see if I could figure out how to overcome this latest "pain in the butt" issue. The run was very constructive in that I was able to figure out how to stride differently to avoid the sharpe pain. Also, after warming up the muscle slowly, I felt like I could pick up the pace a bit. I did some strides here and there being careful not to strain the glute any more. I made it home feeling physically better and, to make a long story short, my daughter has her license and know is the proud owner of a 1998 Ford Explorer (I know - gas guzzler, but it was cheap). Sunday left me feeling cheated on miles so I went for a 6, no maybe 8, no maybe 10 mile run. I started out slow again and warmed up after a couple of miles. I was able to pick the pace up quite a bit and noticed that I felt great running uphill. So, 5 miles out there was a hill ... so I had to run up it. Make that a nice 11 mile run ending no worse for the wear. The following week was more of the same ... start out slow and try and run comfortably.
Another 12 summits try? (5/12)
I had planned on getting up early Saturday and attempting a 12 summits run. I was a bit tentative but at least I would be driving a reliable vehicle; oh, and I was taking my Subaru too ;-) My plan to get up at 5:00 was changed after being awaken 3 times in the middle of the night for various reason (that I won't go into). I'm not a beliver in the snooze button so when the alarm blared at 5:00, I simply reset it to 5:45. At 5:45, I got up and slowly got ready. I would have to drop off water at the turn around so, by the time I stopped by there and got to Tiger, it would be close to 7:00. I was still thinking of trying to run between 7 and 7 1/2 hours if my body would allow; and I had prepared my mind for turning around at Middle Tiger or before if I had to.
Good hard run ...
I was able to run 3:20 out and 3:36 back with the help/influence of a group of fast runners who, by coincidence, happened to be running there as well.
12 summits continues to be my stapple 100 mile training run. I liken my times on this course to my 50 mile times on a flat course. Translated, I should be able to run a 7 hours flat 50. I also thing I can add an hour to 1 1/2 hours for a mountainous 50 miler like White River. I had run 7:30 on this 12 summits last year before running 8:41 at WR, so that fit. Another half hour could bring me closer to 8 hours on WR - I hope anyway. On that course, my climbing ability is what really can make up some real time. This year however, if I want to improve my time there, I'll have to run hard down from the Ranger station ... I normally take it easy on this section to get ready for the second long climb. Time will tell.
Well, good training run anyway and now on to the 12 hour next weekend. I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do. Depending on how my glute feels, and/or whether I'm enjoying myself, I may either do 50 miles or maybe the full 12 hours - hopefully, they won't be one in the same ;-)

11 comments:
We both know you won’t stop until you get to 100k at the watershed. You can't break the streak you have going.
tc,
Nice work at 12 summits and my sympathies about Danielle getting her drivers license. I had sent you an e-mail indicating that Krissy and Jim were running 12 summits, did you receive it? I don't think I can get Kelsey to the 12 hour run - she works that morning and my wife is working Saturday so she doesn't have a vehicle. I will see what I can come up with to get her to run some. See you Saturday. KRK
Loved the story Tony! I got my coffee and sat and read it and kept thinking it reminded me of "Red Hot Sunday's" :). It is a blast to run with folks who make you work and play the chase game. It's like being 10 years old again on the playground at lunch time only it lasts for hours....what a great recess that would be.
Your pain in the bu__ didn't seem to hold you back - great job.
You sound like you're getting stronger and your recovery is moving quickly.
I'm doing a bit of a rearranging of my race & running schedule for the next few months and I think I'm going to specifically gear up for just White River and forget about GreenRiver and Lake Youngs this time. Well, I would do Lake Youngs, but I have a scheduling conflict that morning.
Forgot to mention, one of the training runs I want to do is 12 summits for White River prep. Hopefully, I'll be able to get together in a group to do it.
Wow, *tc, another blow by blow tour de force! I still stand in awe of the details that get imprinted in your mind during the run. For me it's just more swoopy type of sensations. I liked Ronda's comment, because for me it's important to keep it fun. Like Kyle Skaggs said in UR, which Nate McDowell told him, quite simply, "have fun!". :) For us sick types, that also means work it hard, and you did!
Arthur, you're probably right. I'm really playing it by ear with two things that will stop me; 1) If I feel I would be injurying myself by continuing; 2) I'm not having fun.
Kendall ... see you Saturday.
Rhonda, I DEFinitely had fun - in a sick kind of way. It's ironic what you said about recess. I always think how LOOONG my work days seem sometime. On the other hand, 8 hours on Tiger flies by ;-)
Jon, good choice on WR ... it's a great 50M. You'll need Tiger like climbs for training. I'll let you know when I'll be up for it ... maybe the first weekend of July.
Kendra, I don't know where the memory deal comes from. I know I'm fairly focussed at all time while running. I think people think that means I'm not having fun but that's not true. I am always aware (maybe it's a control thing ;-) and can't relate to those who hallucinate in 100 milers.
Also, I did forget to mention about my intake. No breakfast, I ate a Tiger milk bar (ironic eh), before the run, two more during, and 4 gels. I bring 3, 20 oz water bottles and usually drink between 2 to 2 1/2 on the way out. On the way back, I usually have to fill one up at the stream - so 4 total. Instead, I drank 2 1/2 out and 3 only back: 110 oz total. I peed once thinking it would be dark but it was fairly clear. I'm doing something right.
Thanks for sharing your running for all to read. It helps inspire me to push harder.
Massage Chair
Oh, what a run!!! With with what people! And they make you suffer - in a fun kind of way:) Awesome!!! Somebody push my envelope!!
Have a grand time at 12 hr, and don't let Eric beat you:)
tc - Wouldn't you think after all the trail running you do that your core would be twice the strength of steel by now? Hopefully by now most all your aches and pains are subsiding.
Looking forward to watershed as I'm sure you are. Sounds like we both have the same goal of 100K.
See you this weekend!
Eric
Eric, apparently the fast running and pounding, while showing my leg strength, only exposes my core weakness even more. So, I must train the to the core ;-)
Post a Comment