You know, I really hate this type of course. Why, because it exposes my laziness. It's all runable and I can run pretty much for 12 hours straight. I was thinking of taking the easy way out by running a 50 miler or doing an "easy" 12 hour - getting a 100K or so. But, I was advised that I should race this weekend for WS training. For me, that meant shooting for at least 70 miles.
I like doing courses with a lot of elevation gain so this race would serve to help strengthen my mental fortitude; concentrating on the middle hours where I normally slack off - getting lazy or loosing focus; then try to make the same push in the final hours that I have done over the previous 3 years here.
I ran the first loop with Kendall, my WS pacer. He left me after the first loop when I took my mandatory bathroom stop. That was also "good" for me since I need to learn to push myself hard with no one around. Alex Swenson, Sam Thompson, Tim Stroh were running in the lead (there were a couple of others there too who were doing a few laps). I was sore for the first 4 loops, about 21 miles. I was ready to give up hopes of really putting in a good effort with the way my hips and glute were feeling. It reminded me also that I can't ease up on doing my stretches and strengthening exercises. Before I knew it, I was cruising right along with no pain in those areas at all. Another indication of how important my stretching is, which reminds me ... OK, I'm back from stretching.
I felt good from somewhere in the 5th loop on and started thinking of when Danielle would be there to run a loop with me. She and a "friend" were supposed to show up at noon, or 5 hours into the run. At the end of 6 loops (32 miles), I looked over at the clock which read 11:55 am. Danielle was not there so I asked Bill Ball to be on the lookout for her and he noted the time. Lap 7, then lap 8 I pushed, still looking for Danielle at the end (she showed up 5 minutes after I completed lap 8). I bonked a couple of miles into lap 9 - just like last year. I had been eating GU and had a Tiger milk bar. Also, after lap 6 I had eaten a LOT of fruit (watermellon, pineapple, banana, etc.). I ate a GU which helped me to make it through that 9th loop without loosing too much time. At the end of that loop, Bill told me that my daughter was there and he called her over. I asked Linda Ripley to please make me a half a ham sandwich while I slammed down some more fruit. Danielle couldn't help but laugh when she saw how fast I was putting food in my mouth. I told her, "You should have seen me the last time I did this. It was worse."
The 10th loop with Danielle and Mike was nice. The sandwich and fruit did the trick and we were able to put in a good loop. I continued on alone again for the 11th loop. During the 8th-11th loop, Tim Stroh was a small loop ahead of me and kept telling me to catch up - but I was really just trying to run what I thought I could. I had passed Sam on the 8th loop but figured he'd be back. Sure enough, after a mile into the 12th loop, I turned a corner and saw Sam not too far behind me. I tried the only tactic I knew which was to pick up the pace fast enough that he would give up the idea of trying to catch me. I cruised along, really pushing it harder than I should have been. Caught Tim S. who said, "It's about time," to which I responded, "Sam's right behind us. Ahhh!" My hair was on fire but not his ;-) After finishing the loop, I slowed some knowing that Sam was back quite a ways by now - NOT! As I approached the end, his wife yells "Go Sam!" I turned and headed back out to see if I could fend him off saying, "You'er killing me Sam!" as I passed by. I managed to stay ahead of him for one small loop - he was too strong for me at that point.
I continued on, wanting to just take it easy until I got to 70 miles but then Tim Englund came around. He had been one small loop behind me pretty much the entire day. I figured, wrongly again, that he'd be a couple of small loops behind me by now but he was still one loop back. So, another good mental test was placed before me. I focussed on staying ahead of Tim E. the rest of the race. As it was, Tim S. also came back to life and was making a go of it. Both Tims finished one small loop behind me with Sam finishing two small loops ahead.
On my last two small loops, I was pushing it so hard to beat the 2 Tims that I thought I was going to puke. I don't know how I kept from puking at the end. Unfortunate that I didn't 'cause you would have had a better picture here - Eric blog
Alex, who was non-existent to me all day (he was way too far out ahead). He had a great day. He "big-looped" everyone at least once - including all of us who ran over 70 miles.
Unofficial Results:
Alex - 79.235 (13 big, 13 small)
Sam - 73.14 (12 big, 12 small)
*tc - 71.7 (12 big, 10 small)
Tim E. - 70.98 (12 big, 9 small)
Tim S. - 70.98 (12 big, 9 small)
Van - 66+ (I think)
Arthur - 64.9

9 comments:
Great job Tony. You weren't lazy today! I guess next year I'll have to be 38 minutes faster so I can be part of the 12 big lap crowd. I kept wondering where all of the front runners were(except for Alex). 5 people over 70 miles. WOW!!!
My, my, I wish I was that lazy on loop course too:) Great push there, and glad there was no puking for pictures!
Lazy? Oh c'mon, I don't believe it. Great job Tony!
Great job Tony....that is 2 weekends of the "chase game" for you. Your back to playing "tag, your it" again :). Sounds like a great training effort and a good day of working through some stuff which we will all encounter at WS. When do you start your taper? Are you doing any heat training? If so, what kind? Any time predictions for WS? Okay enough questions.
Ronda
Ronda, this was another good confidence builder for me. The only real worry for me at WS is the heat in the canyons - not sure how I will react there. I have no heat training ... so we'll see.
Not sure what taper means actually. I will be doing a modified taper. This weekend, 50 miles solo on Tiger Mtn is the plan - and I will be carrying my cell just in case I hit my head on a log and pass out for 3 days. After this weekend's run, I will take it "easy" the rest of the way out. I do have a 50K on June 9th but I won't be pushing it. June 2nd, and June 16th are "rest" weekends - so I'll be running 14-20 miles on flat trail (Cedar River trail in Maple Valley).
I don't know how to logically predict my time for WS. I can't really compare it to the 100s I've run (5 times CCC, and Big Horn) all of those have way more elevation gain but none were "hot" - to me anyway. I have a time in mind but it's more of a "I hope I can at least run this" with no scientific method involved, so I'll keep it to myself and save the embarrassment.
Really, right now I have two fears:
1. I start out too fast ... it's ok, I can recover. Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with doing this.
2. Worse, I start out too slow ... not really ok, it's tough to get going when I've done this in the past.
Even so, I know how I should feel and am pretty sure I know how to start out. The good part is that we start out with a climb.
I won't be wearing a watch ... but I may be tempted to ask my crew what pace I'm at early on. I haven't done that in the past and am usually just surprised at the end.
*tc
Nice work tc!
How do they measure the final distance of the course to figure out you had 71-point-something?
Jon, that's 5.375 miles for the big loops and .72 for the small loops.
Holy crap Tony! you and all those guys up front ran amazing. I find this both inspiring and demoralizing! There is no way I could do 71 in 12 hours right now. And then to read you are going to try and pop another 50 mler 7 days post. I can't even walk right after my 50 miler here and it has been a couple days! WOW! You don't have destroyed quads? None of the: "I can't go down stairs or slowly lower myself onto a toilet" soreness?????
Keep it up man. My thought is to really rest up going forward (the hay is in the barn already (as my Dad would say)...but I think this way because the run you did this weekend would kill me for a month!
Good luck at States.. I predict 21:45... The heat won't kill you if you just slow down during the heat of the day.
Take care,
Greg
That's ironic Greg. I was thinking the same thing when I read your post ... "how could he run 50 miles alone at that pace?"
Well, I was able to get the 50 miler in - ran alone ... and then headed off to help crew others in a FA 108 mile run.
My legs were not too perky on the 50 run but I was able to get the distance in.
I'm in the home stretch now, so won't be doing any more very long runs. It's going to be tough to "taper."
*tc
Post a Comment