My recovery is going well, praise God!
I had sore hamstrings (not the knot problem), all the way on the drive home Sunday. However, I was surprised at how much my quads hurt the next day. So twice this year, on the 12 summits run with Van and the 100K, I got some good quad pounding. I like this as it is NOT injury but just shows that my quads worked hard (downhill pounding). It has been a long time since I've had sore quads and it feels good - like I actually did some work.
Monday morning, I had trouble walking downstairs and watching the high school track workout hurt to think about. Tuesday morning, I still had trouble walking downstairs yet got out and did a 4 miles jog-stop-stretch-repeat workout. Wednesday, no troubles walking downstairs, did a 4 mile road run, then 2 miles on the soft track while waiting for Danielle to finish her varsity cheer tryout - stopping and stretching throughout.
Today I feel good and plan on running 6-8 miles road. I'm cautiously optimistic that the 100K loosened up that knot in my hamstring. I know that uphill accelerating or downhill over-striding will tweak it again, so I need to be carefull for a while.
The outlook for Mt Si is positive and I'm looking forward to being the 3:30 pacer for the Tacoma Marathon in May.

11 comments:
It's a good thing Mt. Si 50m is totally flat. You won’t have to worry about your hamstrings as long as you don't try to keep up with Van again. ;~)
Hmmm Twice you’ve had Quad soreness, both times running with Van. I sense a pattern forming here.
Nice picture.
King Arhtur - I noticed the same pattern. Thankfully it's a good one so, as long as she's willing, I'll continue to train and run with her ;-) *tc
There were plenty of pictures of you and Van on their website! Sometimes apart, often together. It was fun to see how you ran at each part of the race!
That is an awesome picture! Glad to hear your recovery is going well. See you at Mt. Si!
Mt Si "FLAT"? I hope Arthur's right about that. The nerves are creeping up on my first 50 miler.
So what's the strategy for running Mt Si and then doing Capitol Peaks a week later?
Jon, Mt Si is the flattest 50 miler I've ever done. It makes it difficult in that it's all runable. I would try to use some sort of run-walk strategy. For example run 25 minutes/walk 5 minutes/repeat. Kendall uses a 27/3 ratio but that's pretty agressive.
As far as doubling with the Cap Peak 50, I wouldn't suggest it for someone who has never run a 50 before. That being said, I said the same to Arthur last year and he did it.
*LOL* No dude! I mean what's YOUR strategy for doing your two 50 milers on back to back weekends? You are still doing Capitol Peaks after Mt Si, right?
Whoo-hoo! If the Mt. Si 50 mile is flat, then the Mt. Si 50K is flat too! That's what I was hoping (and thought I knew but wasn't sure).
Thanks for all the blister advice. I've looked at the Happy Feet guy's blog before, and thought maybe I ought to get the book. I think I need a little more specific info about the feed store wrap stuff. Maybe you could show it to Eric next week when you guys run.
A WS crew question - are there sections where I will have to hike into the aid station? Or just a short walk like CCC? Eric Sachs gave me advice about a towel in a cooler full of ice water - I'm trying to figure out how to do that if I have to hike in. Do you know about the crewing side?
Olga - it's funny how the pictures look like Van and I were "duling." The reality was that either she or I were in the porta-potty and had to catch back up to the other. We basically ran together through the marathon point at which point she decided we were running too fast. We had planned on staying together for as long as possible.
Jon - sorry, misunderstood. I am not running Cap Peak although I had originally planned to. I don't like the Cap Peak course and used my daughter's track me to wiggle out of this one. If I were to run it, there would be no strategy per se. I would run Mt Si as planned and then just run Cap Peak to finish.
Michelle, I don't know the crewing side of Western. The one year I went, the early crew places were places you could drive to and will be the hottest - so that's probably what Eric was talking about. I'm not sure about the latter stages where you have to hike to as I was pacing someone for the last 38 miles. But those should be when the sun is going down anyway.
Thanks for the comment you left the other day. I'll have to give some of your well considered responses a try next time the women in my life start asking questions about fashion.
Glad to hear the recovery is coming along. Congrats on a great race!
SD
Post a Comment