Friday, July 07, 2006

The week of Jul 2-Jul 8

Training for this week:

Sunday: 33 miles T - last part of CCC course
Monday: 60 minutes E - 6 miles
Tuesday: 4 miles R/T with Danielle
Wednesday: 6 miles R
Thursday: 6 miles R / 6 miles T
Friday: 9.3 miles T (Lake Youngs with Danielle)
Saturday: 34 miles T (12 summits run)

Total Weekly: 98.3 miles running / 6 miles machine = 104.3 miles

(R = Road, T = Trail, E = Elliptical)

Wow, what an exhausting week. I didn't get much sleep as I was called from work almost every single night / early morning. This is the first 100+ mile week I have done in a long time and may be the only 100+ mile week that I've done that did not include a race (i.e., all training runs). On top of that, I worked a 60 hour week. That didn't leave much time for family, so I was glad that almost 20 miles included runs with Danielle.

I'm so proud of her. She has been so busy with cheer camp and getting ready to go on her mission trip (they left Friday for New Orleans to help with some major clean up gonig on down there). She told me she wanted to run around Lake Youngs and she stuck with it. We ran almost the entire way, minus some of the last hills (1:45). She hasn't run much over 6 miles before, so it was a great accomplishment for her. Unfortunately, she did it like Dad ... on no food. I woke her up at 10:00 am and we took off. The net affect was ok but she suffers from the same "I don't need to eat," bad habit that I have. So, we topped off the workout with some teriyaki - yum!

My training week started out with some good fun with a group of 9 people who headed out to run the last 32 miles of the CCC 100 course - http://www.pbase.com/gtach/ccctr. It was fun day. I drank over 2 gallons of water (260 oz). Sean and I got a couple of extra credit miles so I'm calling it 33.

I had some good runs during the week as well including a couple of faster runs on Thursday. Friday was Lake Youngs with Danielle; and Saturday I ran a 12 summits run solo. Another first for me. I've attempted it solo before but that time it was way over grown so I cheating and took the road back. I also listened to my iPod the entire time (another first - iPod on the trail). It kept me company. My legs were tired but not much in the way of aches and pains. The usual cronic hamstring pains here and there for the most part. Hip (pelvis) was fine throughout.

It was hot but not too bad as Tiger has a lot of cover. I drank 60 oz of water on the way out - drank 20 oz at the turn around; then drank 80 oz on the way back. So, for basically the same distance as I ran last Sunday, I drank 100 oz less. I was also glad with my energy. I didn't eat much, per usual, but paid attention to how I felt a bit more. The last time I did a 12 summits, I bonked on the last "downhill." This time, I ate a gel before climbing boot leg and then another before the final decent. That worked well. I had pushed the climbs but was conservative on the flats and downs. I was surprised at how good I felt on the final decent but didn't push too hard. Final time was average, just under 8 hours. I felt ok coming home and was happy to get there and take a shower. Maya wanted to go over a friends to visit afterwards which sounded pretty relaxing to me ... boy was I beat! It all of the sudden hit me. I was exhausted ... felt like I do when I get home from a 24 hour run (not quite as bad as a mountain 100 miler). I couldn't wait to hit the sack last night.

I think I have an idea of what caused my pelvis to get out of kilter. PT said that I probably jarred it on the trail and that I likely wouldn't even remember when because it would be like a non-event. I couldn't imaging what I could have done to have that happen; then I found out towards the end of my run. I was getting tired and I tend to trip a lot when I'm tired (dragging one's feet on a technical trail will do that). I would catch my shoes on a root and it would yank me down hard. Instead of falling, I would catch myself. That takes a lot of strength and torques the legs. The 2nd or 3rd time I did that, I felt a twinge in the injured area. I would be better off just going all the way down but self preservation prevails. I paid more attention to lifting my feet the rest of the way after that. And, as I said, the downhill didnn't hurt as it did the last time.

7 comments:

Olga said...

That is some week! Wow, tiring! And fun:)

Olga said...

That is some week! Wow, tiring! And fun:)

King Arthur said...

Glad to hear that 12 summits went well. I'm going to have to try that one ones of these days.

Anonymous said...

Great week T.C.! It looks like I won't have to sweep you off the course at CCC.

Backofpack said...

Wow TC what an awsome week! It's interesting that you figured out the cause of your injury at the end of the run. Maybe that'll be the key for prevention for you now!

Also, I love all the running you are doing with Danielle. She's going to be one strong runner com XC season. Plus, she's gonna have great memories of all those runs with Dad!

Tony C said...

Gosh! I hope not Rob (never say never)... that DID happend to me the on my first attempt. The sweep got bored with waiting for me and left me (his bad). I was left for "DNF" byt he next aid station while I was still on the course (the aid station was gone when I arrived). I sat on the road in the dark for 2 hours until Glenn and Tim Lofton found me.

Michelle, you're absolutely right. I love the time running with Danielle and hope that she'll remember the times fondly (not pressued) when she is older.

*tc

Tony C said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.