A couple of weeks have gone by and I've finally been given the green light to run. After my 3rd visit to the PT, he wrote out a plan for my returning to running. It's good to have something to focus on but I'm only cautiously optimistic at this point. I mean, I don't have any short term plans to race (even slowly) and I'm trying to heal properly – so no need to push it.
I've been to Yoga nine times (about 3 times a week) since I first started. I've also been to the gym working the elliptical a few times. And I even went to Gurdwood (Alyeska Resort) and did a 3 repeats of the Climbathon course (tram base to tram top). Surprisingly, that went very well.
Here’s a run down of my workouts in August:
08/01-08/11: Much pain and suffering, ibuprofen, oxycodone (didn’t have much affect), muscle relaxer (these helped)
08/12: Bikram (90 mins)
08/13: Yoga Sculp (60 mins)
08/14: Deep Stretch (60 mins) (no likey)
08/15: Nada
08/16: Bikram (90 mins)
08/16: Last time taking ibuprofen and muscle relaxer.
08/17-18: Nada mucho – I had a break through on Friday where I was finally able to walk almost normally. Jane and Ray came into town to do the marathon. Saturday we did some walking in Seward (long drive) and Sunday, Shawn and I did some real walking while following Jane and Ray on the marathon course.
08/19: Bikram (90 mins)
08/20: Nada – PT said I was progressing well. Told me I could do 30 minutes on the elliptical to start with.
08/21: elliptical 30 minutes – hurt after but only for a short time. Dr knows what he’s talking about.
08/22: Traditional Hot (90 mins)
08/23: elliptical 30 minutes – felt ok after.
08/24: Bikram (90 mins)
08/25: 4 hours walk-trot-hike on the climbathon course (1,000+ feet per mile). Took the tram down each time.
08/26: Nada
08/27: Traditional Hot (90 mins)
08/28: First day of running. Run 0.5 mi/Walk 0.5 mi – repeat 5 times. Running did not feel so good. Walking hurt as well after the running pulled on the glute.
08/29: Traditional Hot (90 mins)
08/30: elliptical 1 hour – felt great after. Could have gone another hour, but didn’t
08/31: Planned (Elliptical 1 hour. Bikram (90 mins))
As you may have noticed, I ran a total of 2.5 miles in the month of August. It may be as far back as high school since I ran less (i.e., nothing) in a month. The last time I took more than a week off from running had to have been in the 80’s. That said, it’s about time for a rest – or so my body says so.
Here is the plan my PT has laid out for me as far as running goes.
Run/walk 0.5 mi, repeat 5 times. Do 3 sets (i.e., 3 separate times running)
Run 1 mi / walk 0.5 mi, repeat 5 times. Do 3 sets.
Run 1 mi / walk 0.25 mi, repeat 5 times. Do 3 sets.
Just run!
I’m actually not feeling too badly about not running. I look forward to it a LOT but the yoga, and now the elliptical training, keep me feeling good. In yoga class when things get tough, I focus on things that make me feel good – mostly, running a 100 miler in the hot sun. I remember times on the CCC course; running the FA 100 in Canada; Shawn and my first anniversary 100+ mile weekend; and most recently the Resurrection Pass 100 where I ran so joyfully for over 30 miles and of sun and drinking cool fresh water out of streams.
I haven’t dreamt of running in the snow … I’m not that sick – YET!
Remember, brown don’t frown – keep that smile on your face!!!
I've been to Yoga nine times (about 3 times a week) since I first started. I've also been to the gym working the elliptical a few times. And I even went to Gurdwood (Alyeska Resort) and did a 3 repeats of the Climbathon course (tram base to tram top). Surprisingly, that went very well.
Here’s a run down of my workouts in August:
08/01-08/11: Much pain and suffering, ibuprofen, oxycodone (didn’t have much affect), muscle relaxer (these helped)
08/12: Bikram (90 mins)
08/13: Yoga Sculp (60 mins)
08/14: Deep Stretch (60 mins) (no likey)
08/15: Nada
08/16: Bikram (90 mins)
08/16: Last time taking ibuprofen and muscle relaxer.
08/17-18: Nada mucho – I had a break through on Friday where I was finally able to walk almost normally. Jane and Ray came into town to do the marathon. Saturday we did some walking in Seward (long drive) and Sunday, Shawn and I did some real walking while following Jane and Ray on the marathon course.
08/19: Bikram (90 mins)
08/20: Nada – PT said I was progressing well. Told me I could do 30 minutes on the elliptical to start with.
08/21: elliptical 30 minutes – hurt after but only for a short time. Dr knows what he’s talking about.
08/22: Traditional Hot (90 mins)
08/23: elliptical 30 minutes – felt ok after.
08/24: Bikram (90 mins)
08/25: 4 hours walk-trot-hike on the climbathon course (1,000+ feet per mile). Took the tram down each time.
08/26: Nada
08/27: Traditional Hot (90 mins)
08/28: First day of running. Run 0.5 mi/Walk 0.5 mi – repeat 5 times. Running did not feel so good. Walking hurt as well after the running pulled on the glute.
08/29: Traditional Hot (90 mins)
08/30: elliptical 1 hour – felt great after. Could have gone another hour, but didn’t
08/31: Planned (Elliptical 1 hour. Bikram (90 mins))
As you may have noticed, I ran a total of 2.5 miles in the month of August. It may be as far back as high school since I ran less (i.e., nothing) in a month. The last time I took more than a week off from running had to have been in the 80’s. That said, it’s about time for a rest – or so my body says so.
Here is the plan my PT has laid out for me as far as running goes.
Run/walk 0.5 mi, repeat 5 times. Do 3 sets (i.e., 3 separate times running)
Run 1 mi / walk 0.5 mi, repeat 5 times. Do 3 sets.
Run 1 mi / walk 0.25 mi, repeat 5 times. Do 3 sets.
Just run!
I’m actually not feeling too badly about not running. I look forward to it a LOT but the yoga, and now the elliptical training, keep me feeling good. In yoga class when things get tough, I focus on things that make me feel good – mostly, running a 100 miler in the hot sun. I remember times on the CCC course; running the FA 100 in Canada; Shawn and my first anniversary 100+ mile weekend; and most recently the Resurrection Pass 100 where I ran so joyfully for over 30 miles and of sun and drinking cool fresh water out of streams.
I haven’t dreamt of running in the snow … I’m not that sick – YET!
Remember, brown don’t frown – keep that smile on your face!!!

3 comments:
Baby steps, man. Go slow, this is the race of your life. The finish line is out there somewhere, just keep taking those little steps and you'll get there before you know it.
I bet that you're improving at yoga, right? That's what I enjoyed so much about it...the challenges and tangible results if I stuck with it. Its many benefits will only help your running. I remember when you applauded me during a come back of only doing the prescribed run/walk thing and nothing more. Back atcha, t!
Thanks G! Yes I am improving. I still can't doing anything that requires me to use my back though (weak core and my injury prevents it somewhat as well). I don't think I'll be able to continue in the winter because I will be too cold after (same thing happens after running but it will be much worse since I'm soaking wet after yoga). But I'll take it a month at a time to see how it goes.
Post a Comment