Tuesday, August 14, 2012

UPDATE (08/14/2012)


Well, it's been a few days  and things are starting to get better. I am finally sleeping through the night and can almost walk without pain. I saw a Physical Therapist (PT) Monday (8/13). He told me that he believed the muscle pull in the quad (above the knee) was what attributed to the pulled glute muscle. He gave me some stretches to do to loosen up my hips.

I also started yoga Sunday (8/12). I thought I was going to pass out. This is the first time I've tried Bikram Yoga. I sweat ridiculously - my towel was soaked through and there was a pool of sweat next to my mat - overflow. I had to sit down for a while after class before I attempted to walk to the car. When I saw the PT, he told me to go easy on the yoga. Not that it was bad but that ultra runners tend to over do it when they're knocked out of running. He was right. I hurt my lower back a bit on Sunday. 

Also on Sunday, Shawn and I went for a 2 hour bike ride. As long as it was flat, I felt ok. PT said that was the best thing for me - phew! 

Monday (8/13) I went to yoga sculpting class. I did OK with the poses and REALLY sweat a lot once again. It was still tough get out the door after class but much better than the first day. Drink water...lots of water!

Tues (8/14) I went to yoga stretch. While this was a fairly easy class, and no sweating, I was grateful for the stretching that I would normal just NOT do. 

Tomorrow I go for another 80 minute massage. I can't wait. I think that helped me the most in relieving the pain in my glute. 

ACCEPTANCE is the mantra of the day for me. I just cannot run. I will see the PT again next Monday (8/20) and hope he OK's me to do some elliptical. In the mean time, I need to fit in some bike riding with my yoga. 

I'm still using Advil and the muscle relaxers but less than last week; slowly getting off these. I've also been using a heating pad, a bit at home and also at work. Today  I went without at work and was fine for most of the day. I tried to remember to stand up every hour or so and stretch my back. 

I'm getting better all the time. 

No comments: