Sunday: 0
Monday: 4 miles R
Tuesday: 4 miles T (with Danielle)
Wednesday: 4 miles E
Thursday: 0
Friday: 0
Saturday/Sunday: 100 miles T (hopefully)??
Total Weekly: 12+ miles running
(R = Road, T = Trail, E = Elliptical, G = Grass)
Well, it's actually only Thursday the 24th but I won't be writing a weekly blog on Saturday per usual. I am not running today nor tomorrow as the last part of my taper for the 100 miler this weekend.
I must confess, I have had another issue (note I'm not saying injury) that I have not mentioned before. I've had this knot in my left glute for the past couple of weeks. There was no traumatic event so nothing to point to like that. However, since my previous injury is on my right side and that side is still weak, it's probably the culprit. After consulting Glenn, he and I agree that this is likely compensation for my weaker, right side. I was hoping that it would work it's way out with stretching and "careful" running but that has not been the case. It did feel much better yesterday after I did a few things differently. First, I prayed about it (always a good start). Then, I took some ibuprofen (which I have been avoiding so far for this). And rather than run, I used the elliptical machine ... which felt much better than running. As I told Glenn, I will be going back to my routine of elliptical during the week and trails on the weekend. First however, I have to run my race.
The Race:
My original plan was to run the race pretty aggressively from the start. That's easier for me to do as there's a lot of climbing in the beginning miles. However, the first few miles are fairly flat, so I will have to be a bit tentative now ... at least until my glute loosens up. Then, hopefully, I can push the climbs and get into the race.
A lot of things can happen in a 100 mile race so I never take them lightly. I do my best to eliminate all of the risks where possible (including having the proper clothes available, having my own foods and drink, etc.). Since I am going in with a known problem and I cannot predict how it will affect me in the long run (literally) and have very little control of what happens. I will be tentative when appropriate and aggressive when I can. Of greater importance to ready myself for the possibility that my race may turn in to a "just finish" situation. Preparing my mind for that possibility will keep me from getting frustrated if that happens. It's a fine balance because I'm also real competitive (with myself and not just with others), so know that I'm not giving myself an excuse before the race and not run hard. My psyche doesn't work like that.
So, you may see a report on Monday showing my time as a sub-24 hour run; It may be more than 30 hours; it may be somewhere in the middle; my hope is that it won't say DNF. I'm usually more confident about what I can run but as you can see, we'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:
I know you'll do great. I'm sure your taper helped to heal up that Glute.
Don't make me drag you to the finish.
Post a Comment