Saturday, June 03, 2006

The week of May 28-Jun 03

Training for this week:

Sunday: 0
Monday: 6 miles (ran with Danielle/Elaini)
Tuesday: 75 minutes - 7.5 miles + 3 miles w/Danielle
Wednesday: 10 miles (zoo trail with tp!)
Thursday: 60 minutes - 6.0 miles
Friday: 0
Saturday: 36 miles (Mt Blanchard 33 miles + 3 miles extra credit)

Total Weekly: 68.5 miles (13.5 machine / 55 running)

The Mt Blanchard ultra was held on a beautiful course and on a beautiful day. The course is 3, 11 mile loops through the trails of Mt Blanchard, with about 2000 feet of elevation gain each loop. That is unless you take the route that Glenn and I took. On the first loop we added on a 3 mile out and back to Lake Lilly - by accident I assure you. Once back on course, we had a wonderful time running the ups and downs of this not-too technical trail. We were lucky in that it did not rain at all while we were out there. Had it down-poured as it had on Friday, on subsequent days, it very well may have been the most miserable course I've run on - the climb to "Kill Bill Hill" would have been a torrent river. Pain and swearing would have been invovled. Instead, the entire day was WONDERFUL! About 12 started the run (down from 40 the year before) with about half the group completing all 3 loops. Jim Kerby, I hear, ran 4. John Bandur, who was only going to run 2 loops as he got over track on the first, had not shown up after we completed our 3rd. Hopefully, he didn't have to spend all night out there.

I highly recommend this run to anyone who wants to attempt a first time ultra, or anyone for that matter. Make sure you follow someone who knows where they are going ... unless you thrive on the extra credit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a great day for a long run for sure.

I'll see you Saturday at Lake Youngs. Just in case you want extra credit next week I believe me and Lesa Overfield are going to do a loop at 5 a.m. before the race starts.

Olga said...

I don't believe your venture to the lake was by accident:) Good running week!

Backofpack said...

From what Rob says, that extra credit is just extra bang for your buck! Glad you had a wonderful run - we sure did luck out on the weather.

Kendall K said...

I'm glad that at least a few runners were there. Hopefully it will remain a fixture on the calendar. I enjoy the loop set-up and it offers a great mix of trails/logging road. My legs are fine today, but my butt is a bit sore. On the other hand, I've never done 100 miles in 6 hours before, either. KRK

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»