Friday, December 10, 2021

2021 Running, Racing and TRE Induced Autophagy

 As I continue running in my "old age," I am becoming more and more content just running. Whereas I still love to race, I have fun with my ultra distance training runs. I especially love runs with my wife which usually occur during the winter months; and we are usually pulling our sleds behind us in the snow of the Alaska wilderness. This year was no different as we went on a trip to Yentna (Jan 1st) from Deshka Landing and back (Jan 2nd), running a 50K each way, celebrating our 11th anniversary on the return trip. We took another trip in February from Deshka to Yentna and on to Skwentna, then back, running a 50K each day for 4 days. No winter racing this year however. Hopefully that will change in 2022. 

In March I ran my first road 50K training run. When I was about 20 miles in, my wife called and said that the river near our home looked like it might be frozen enough to travel on. We've lived in our home near the Knik River for 8 years and have been wanting to go to the Knik Glacier from our front door (a 50 mile round trip). She wanted to go the next day. "Sure," says I, "I still want to finish my 50K though." "Well of course," says she. That was a cool adventure; a bit dodgy at times with open leads here and there. But the sun was out later in the morning and through the afternoon and evening when we finished. A few weeks later, I had planned on running another 50K training run but we had gotten hit with 8" of fresh snow over night. I really didn't want to run in soft snow at this point of the year and ended up running my first ultra on a treadmill (50K @9:02 pace).

My training for summer races started in earnest at the end of March. I was back to my "faster" daily and long runs, gaining my confidence and speed after trudging slowly in the snow all winter. I also noted that I started with 2 pairs of new road shoes starting on May 1st and had put close to 2,000 miles on them over the next 6 months. They're certainly broken in by now. I ran several 50K-ish training runs between March and end of May, hitting the marathon split on 7 of those at just under 4 hours. I also ran a 50K at 8:56 pace on June 5th. 2 weeks later, I ran my first race of the year. I don't do taper. 

This year I raced 3 marathons and 3 ultras. All of these duirng the summer months. Even so, I was able to average a ton of miles from January through July, finally turning down the volume in August. Last year after bumping up my mileage to 300 per month starting in May, and being able to keep that through the end of the year, I decided to give myself a goal of averaging 300 per month for 2021. If I could accomplish that, this would be the most miles for a year in my entire life. I didn't really start tracking my miles electronically until I embraced Run Keeper on my iPhone late in 2013. I mostly hadn't worn a watch at all since the mid-1980s. I did try a few watches for a very short period of time but got frustrated with their inaccuracies, settling for marking my routes with my car and looking at the clock when I started/finished. I finally settled this year on an Apple watch. While it's not super accurate, it's good enough for my daily runs. I mostly got that watch so that I didn't have to carry my phone during my daily runs. I also purchased a COROS watch which I like but have only used for ultra races. It worked well for my one trail 100 miler and sufficient battery life for my 2 double-marathons.  

Another aspect of my 2021 running has been my diet. Last year I started practicing intermittent fasting or time restricted eating (TRE) without knowing what it was called. I spent a lot of this year doing research on it to better understand the effects of autophagy and the benefits of the same. I have been pretty consistently on a 19/5 fast/eat schedule since BOC (beginning of COVID). And although I've not spent any time researching keto diets, I am tending towards a high protein, high fat, low carb diet (aka keto). See below where I've outline the benefits of autophagy. I also monitored my racing with this diet to see if there were any adverse affects or reduced performance. 

Here is a summary of my 2021 running 

Mileage - 3,600 mile goal hit 12/10/2021 

Peak Mileage before finally going under 300 miles per month for 15 months 

  • May     - 417.7
  • June    - 371.5
  • July    - 438.5
  • Aug    - 268.6 

Training Mileage (long runs ~ anything over 25 miles)

  • 30-ish milers - 16 
  • 37-ish milers -
  • 50-ish milers - 2
  • 26.2 milers - 2 and both run with a real marathon (aka double-marathon)

Races (all started in a fasted state. Black coffee and water only)

  • June 19th - 24 hours in the Dome (103.7 miles)
    •  Ran with Dave. Flew to St Louis then drove to Milwaukee with Andrea and Miles.
    • ace was pretty good through 50 miles. Started to slow badly at 70+. Relegated to walk after about 75 miles. 
  • July 10th - Hatcher Pass Marathon 4:48 (after 4:15 downhill marathon before the race) DOUBLE marathon
    • Started pre-race marathon at 1:30am. 1 hour 15 minutes rest before the start
  • July 30th - ResPass 100M 25:54 
    • Was on 22 hour pace through 70+ miles. Slowed to a walk due to back pain after 80 miles or so where I relinquished the lead. Came into the finish with Teri Buck to tie for 2nd OA and first dude. 
  • August 6th - Arc Angel Marathon 4:19 (after 5:20 uphill marathon before the race) DOUBLE marathon
    • One week after the 100M, started pre-race marathon at 12:30am. Ate food, changed to dry clothes, slept 45 minutes. Woke up 15 minutes before the race.
  • August 22nd - United 49K (30.4M) 4:23, 8:40 pace (first place super old guy) 
    • Two weeks after last double marathon, pre-race 4 mile run to warm up. Legs had no umpf after 18 miles (probably could have used more pre-race carbs for this race)
  • September 26th - Kenai Marathon 3:59 (still overcoming back issues)
    • Back issues for most of September continued through this marathon. Started out quick then really slowed after about 18 miles. Energy was good but back restricted my stride.

Races Details

I ran the 24 hour event of the 6 days in the Dome race held in Milwaukee, WI on June 19th. It was a fun trip to visit Dave, Andrea and Miles in Missouri. Since I could, I brought plenty of clothes to go from short sleeve shirt to super warm clothes during the race. I tend to get cold in the last stages of this type of race. My race was a bit disappointing to me. My main goal was to be out on the track the entire 24 hours and hit 100 miles. I thought I was in shape to run between 115 and 120 miles but that wasn't to be. I was able to run for about 75 miles before my tight legs, and in-turn my back started giving me issues. So I stuck to walking the rest of the race in order to get over 100 miles. All in all the experience was good. The race was put on well; I just didn't perform as hoped. It was fun hanging out with Mr. Miles, and his mom and dad. They're ok too. 3 weeks until next race.

Photo credit: Mark Mccaslin

Los Dudes

As has become tradition, I ran the Hatcher Pass marathon in the reverse direction, finish to start line, before running the race. I had planned to start at 1am but left later than planned. Kate Evans was already running over the pass as I was driving in the other direction. Stephen Peterson was patiently waiting for me at the finish line to start. I ended up running about 10 miles with Steve before deciding to try and catch up to Kate. I was moving too fast for Steve for his first long run in a while so I wasn't being helpful. I pushed myself pretty hard the rest of the way, finally catching up to Kate right before reaching the race start. Thankfully I had over an hour to eat and rest as 4:15 was a bit fast for a pre-marathon marathon. The weather was good so I figured I could walk a lot of the uphill anyway if I needed to, and just enjoy the day. As it turned out, I had a pretty good uphill race too. Expecting to run it in about 5:30-6 hours, I was surprised to be able to run under 4:50. Fun day! . 2 weeks until next race.

Triple-Double
(Kate Evans, tc, Stephen Peterson)
 

ResPass 100M - see post  ResPass100M

For Arc Angel (the reverse of Hatcher Pass), I again ran a double. I wasn't sure what I was going to run as the 100 miler was just the week prior. But my recovery went pretty good and I made the final decision Friday afternoon that I would run the double. This time I would be alone and it would be dark for most of the first marathon. Pitch black and cold I started up the Hatcher Pass road having started by 12:30am. I had hoped that starting at that time would give me enough time to get there and change clothes before the race start. My legs were good for the most part; not spunky but also not tired or achy. By 16 miles or so I was hating life. It was cold and rainy and I could see that it was foggy on the pass. As I approached the pass (mile 19-20) I had mentally decided to DNS (not start) the race. I would just climb into someone's car and catch a ride back down the road to my car. It was a bit scary going over the pass in the fog as there were some cars heading my way and I wasn't sure if they could see me. I clung to the mountain side edge of the road and picked up the paced as much as I could; partly to get warm and partly to get through the fog without getting hit. I made it over the top and had to run down some before I could actually see that parking lot where the start would be. As planned, I went through the start and then behind a building where I had stashed a garbage bag with my clothes. I came back and race director Natalie Bickers offered her warm car to me. The heat was on so I changed my shirt and ate my food quickly. Natalie brought me a blanket and I immediately fell asleep. I don't recall how I woke up but the 45 minute or so nap felt good and I was ready to get back out for the race. I was still a bit tentative because it could be a long day of slow running and walking on a miserable weather day. As it turned out, I ran well over the pass and down the road and the day turn out to be not so bad after all. I started passing people after the half way point and finished with a decent marathon (about 4:19, just under 10 minute pace). Super happy to have started, then finish the race feeling healthy (no tweekiness). 2 weeks until next race. 

Teri Buck can't wait to start!

My last goal race on my schedule was the 49K (30.4 miles) that was 2 weeks after Arc Angel. I was hoping to be rested enough to be able to actually race this event (as opposed for just going for the finish). Half way through my commute to the race I realized that I had forgotten a watch. Annoyed but realizing I had been watch-less for years, I convinced myself it didn't matter. It was actually probably a good thing because I do well to run by feel and I wouldn't be tempted to look at my pace during the race. I started out what felt to me like a slow pace; in retrospect, I had started out at about an 8:20 pace. It was a comfortable pace yet at about 17/18 miles into it I had no energy or bounciness in my legs. I had taken my second GU by then but it didn't seem to be having any affect ~ DAMN YOU CARBS. This was the race where I should have done some carb loading; it was too late to do anything about it. I focused on moving forward, backing the pace off a bit. I wasn't hurting and just felt like my legs were numb. My primary goal was to win my age division (over 60) and my secondary goal was to run under 4:30 (sub-9:00 minute pace). The marathoners started 30 minutes after the ultra did so I looked for the 4 hour pace group on the out and back sections. All I needed to do was to stay ahead of them to be under 4:30. As it turned out, I was quite a bit ahead on that last out and back. I started to feel better after 22 or so miles. As I passed by what I figured was the marathon point I asked another runner I was passing what time it was. From that I figured I ran about a 3:48 marathon split. I picked it up at that point and ran pretty well to the finish. My time of 4:23 (8:40 pace overall) was within 90 seconds of my best time on the course so I was very pleased. That earned me 1st place in my age group (60-64) and Grand Master Champion (over 60). 

Grand Master t

Not really excited about it, I had signed up for the Kenai Marathon which is held the last Sunday of September every year. I had hurt my back pretty badly at the beginning of the month; tight legs as always, self-induced stress (worrying about something I had no control over), topped off with moving some heavy boxes put me in an uncomfortable situation. I wasn't able to sit, stand or lay down comfortably and ended up in the emergency room on Labor Day to get some muscle relaxers. I took off 5 days from running which was the most I had done in a bunch of years. Probably since my injury after a 100 miler in 2012. Anyway, I started up running again the next week and really hadn't trained well before the race. I almost didn't go but had made arrangements with a friend (Rob Deadmond) to share a ride. It would also be my 100th road marathon finish; that is, if I could get to the finish line. Ironically, it took me from January 1976 when I ran my first marathon at age 15 to September of this year, a week before my 61st birthday to reach 100. Whereas, I have run 239 official ultra marathons in just over 23 years. Guess I found my niche. It was pretty cold on the day of the race. I got up early and ran 4 miles before the race to get my bowels working. No dice! I'd have to hit the porta-potty at mile 6 in the race. The start was quick which was weather aided (we all needed to warm up). I started out fast again, 8:20s and was feeling pretty good through about 10 miles. Nothing really hurt but I could feel my stride shortening and knew I would just have to do the best I could to finish. I did pass one running before the 12 mile mark and was hoping to hit that port-potty as the 6 mile didn't happen. The guy right ahead of me ducked in and I didn't want to wait. As luck would have it, there I spotted a porta-potty in a park just a half mile later. I stopped there and all was well. The person I had passed was now ahead of me again but I caught her pretty quickly. On the 17 mile hill (not much of a hill but the only one on this flat course) I could see the next guy. I caught him at the top of the hill and easily went by him. I had caught another before mile 20 walking a small hill. Even though I was slowing, I was not being passed by anyone and the next person ahead of me was miles ahead. Another couple of miles later another lady passed by me. No one else behind me at this point, I struggled to finish under the 4 hour mark. I felt silly since I had run several training run of 30 miles or more hitting the marathon split under 4 hours. Not a pretty race but fun none the less. It was a cool but sunny day and I loved every minute of it. The drive back with Rob was fantastic as we talked most of the way, getting to know one another. 

Diet Stuff

Health Benefits of Autophagy 1. Supports youth 2. Fights age-related diseases 3. Promotes heart health 4. Promotes smoother, healthier skin 5. Boosts metabolism 6. Offers protection against neurodegenerative diseases (dementia for example) 7. Improves muscle performance 8. Fights inflammation (this is a huge benefit) 9. Promotes brain health 10. Supports weight-loss 11. Helps defend against cancer 12. Helps increase energy (energy is high and don't get hungry) 13. Protects against mental disease 14. Offers anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties 15. Supports healthy aging Induce autophagy by 1. Ketogenic - to restrict glucose. Become metabolically flexible (burn fat when no glucose is present; AND be able to burn glucose as necessary) 2. Intermittent Fasting (16/8) - I go 19/5 (fast 7pm-2pm/eat 2-7pm) - sleep 9:30pm-5:30a (between 7-8 hours) 3. Moderate Exercise - 2.5 hours a week. I do about 12-15 hours of running a week 4. Autophagy Foods - high quality natural fats instead of carbs Modulate aging via autophagy


No comments: