I'm taking another step back this month to re-evaluate my injury and the unfortunate lack of healing that is going on.
I had been dilligent about NOT running and using the elliptical most of September and early October. I ran a 12 miler in October 13th and a 15 miler a week later. Both were good, albeit slow, runs. The Thursday before running the 15 miler I ran 7 miler at a good pace and felt glute pain for the first time in over a month. I hadn't really felt it before then and hoped that it wasn't rearing its ugly head once again. After the successful run over the weekend, I thought I was in the clear. Returning to some short runs during the following week proved that that was NOT the case - the injury had indeed resurfaced and I could not run without constant pain in my left glute. Rather disappointed I decided that I would return to only elliptical during the week and would attempt to run some LSD on the weekend (heavy on the "S"low). I skipped running completely the weekend of October 27th. Last weekend, November 3rd, we hiked/ran about 8 miles or so on the Powerline trail (see pix):
http://www.pbase.com/tcovarrubias/powerline112012
The uphill running was good but I was hurting quite a bit on the down hill (the return trip). I determined that I would run on an even surface next weekend as I can "control" my running through effeciency (stride variation, low lifting of the foot, etc.) and hence keep from pulling on the glute muscle that is still trying to heal.
Still trying to "start" to get in shape for the ITI, which includes climatizing (for which I have to run outside), I went out Monday afternoon to do a SLOW 6 miler. The run went well and it felt good to be running in the cold (25F) and dark. I did feel some pull early on and a lot during the last part of the run. I hurt that night yet tried to ignore it. The high from running was too great and lured me in for another run Tuesday night. Right away I hurt. I tried to stretch, alter my stride, speed up, slow down, run a bit sideways but with no success. I walked and jogged about 4 miles at a 15 minute mile pace and was in a lot of pain.
It appears I'm done with running for at least the rest of the year. I don't know what my plan is yet but I'll start with going to the gym 4-6 nights a week to get 6-8 miles on the elliptical. The elliptical doesn't cause pain because the pain comes on the transfer from my left to my right, as I step on the right and lift my left leg. My left glute feels the tug from gravity, bounce, and the firing of the muscle on impact of the opposite leg. I've tested this a lot. I do this by using my fingers to push on the sore glute muscle and then running while holding my fingers in place. When I feel the pain, the glute is flexed/bulging, and the right (opposite) leg is touching the ground, absorbing impact. When on the elliptical, my left leg never leaves the "surface" on the machine so it's being held up (no gravity) by the pedal and the result is that I don't feel the pain.
It's tough because I know that the glute pain is a torn muscle. Stretching "it" does not help, in fact can only hurt it. I've been stretching other muscles to help relieve the pull on the glute however, too late for prevention. I feel like if I could stitch the muscle it would heal quicker...of course, I would start running on it again, and the cycle would continue.
I've thought off and on about going back to see my PT but the exercises he gave me were not treating (in my opinion) what they should have been. I spent a lot of money and more than that "emotion" on this and don't want to put myself in that vulnerable position again. I'll have to think long and hard about going back. My trust issues prevent me from doing so at this time. I know myself, I'm very much self-aware and I know what will not work for me. I know the things I will not do to help things along - so I'm careful to commit to something a PT might recommend. This to say "yes, this is somewhat self inflicted as I probably won't listen to a medical professional." I really do believe I know more that what he might have to offer about me. And you might say, "Then you deserve what you get." Very true and I accept that.
Before this year I had not missed more than 5 days of running in a row (taking a week of for example) since the 1980s. This is how big this is to me. I want to heal and to come back strong. I think the days of competing are over for me although I will always compete at some level as long as I'm able to run. 2013 may be a year of complete healing and rebuilding followed by some very long/slow races in 2014. It's tough to think that far away but I've done it before and come back stronger than ever. 2001-2004 were healing, building and strengthening (speed) years for me. My current PRs are from 2005-2006.
I had been dilligent about NOT running and using the elliptical most of September and early October. I ran a 12 miler in October 13th and a 15 miler a week later. Both were good, albeit slow, runs. The Thursday before running the 15 miler I ran 7 miler at a good pace and felt glute pain for the first time in over a month. I hadn't really felt it before then and hoped that it wasn't rearing its ugly head once again. After the successful run over the weekend, I thought I was in the clear. Returning to some short runs during the following week proved that that was NOT the case - the injury had indeed resurfaced and I could not run without constant pain in my left glute. Rather disappointed I decided that I would return to only elliptical during the week and would attempt to run some LSD on the weekend (heavy on the "S"low). I skipped running completely the weekend of October 27th. Last weekend, November 3rd, we hiked/ran about 8 miles or so on the Powerline trail (see pix):
http://www.pbase.com/tcovarrubias/powerline112012
The uphill running was good but I was hurting quite a bit on the down hill (the return trip). I determined that I would run on an even surface next weekend as I can "control" my running through effeciency (stride variation, low lifting of the foot, etc.) and hence keep from pulling on the glute muscle that is still trying to heal.
Still trying to "start" to get in shape for the ITI, which includes climatizing (for which I have to run outside), I went out Monday afternoon to do a SLOW 6 miler. The run went well and it felt good to be running in the cold (25F) and dark. I did feel some pull early on and a lot during the last part of the run. I hurt that night yet tried to ignore it. The high from running was too great and lured me in for another run Tuesday night. Right away I hurt. I tried to stretch, alter my stride, speed up, slow down, run a bit sideways but with no success. I walked and jogged about 4 miles at a 15 minute mile pace and was in a lot of pain.
It appears I'm done with running for at least the rest of the year. I don't know what my plan is yet but I'll start with going to the gym 4-6 nights a week to get 6-8 miles on the elliptical. The elliptical doesn't cause pain because the pain comes on the transfer from my left to my right, as I step on the right and lift my left leg. My left glute feels the tug from gravity, bounce, and the firing of the muscle on impact of the opposite leg. I've tested this a lot. I do this by using my fingers to push on the sore glute muscle and then running while holding my fingers in place. When I feel the pain, the glute is flexed/bulging, and the right (opposite) leg is touching the ground, absorbing impact. When on the elliptical, my left leg never leaves the "surface" on the machine so it's being held up (no gravity) by the pedal and the result is that I don't feel the pain.
It's tough because I know that the glute pain is a torn muscle. Stretching "it" does not help, in fact can only hurt it. I've been stretching other muscles to help relieve the pull on the glute however, too late for prevention. I feel like if I could stitch the muscle it would heal quicker...of course, I would start running on it again, and the cycle would continue.
I've thought off and on about going back to see my PT but the exercises he gave me were not treating (in my opinion) what they should have been. I spent a lot of money and more than that "emotion" on this and don't want to put myself in that vulnerable position again. I'll have to think long and hard about going back. My trust issues prevent me from doing so at this time. I know myself, I'm very much self-aware and I know what will not work for me. I know the things I will not do to help things along - so I'm careful to commit to something a PT might recommend. This to say "yes, this is somewhat self inflicted as I probably won't listen to a medical professional." I really do believe I know more that what he might have to offer about me. And you might say, "Then you deserve what you get." Very true and I accept that.
Before this year I had not missed more than 5 days of running in a row (taking a week of for example) since the 1980s. This is how big this is to me. I want to heal and to come back strong. I think the days of competing are over for me although I will always compete at some level as long as I'm able to run. 2013 may be a year of complete healing and rebuilding followed by some very long/slow races in 2014. It's tough to think that far away but I've done it before and come back stronger than ever. 2001-2004 were healing, building and strengthening (speed) years for me. My current PRs are from 2005-2006.

3 comments:
Hey there! Good to hear what you've been up to, but big bummer to read about your re-injury. You always seem to have keen insight, however, and hopefully using the elliptical will help promote some healing by at least increasing blood flow to the injured muscle(s) - as well as provide those tremendously important emotional benefits! Will sure miss seeing you & Shawn at the Seattle Ghost this year! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, celebrating the many blessings you do have!
Hey there!
You've been on my mind on & off lately so thought I would look you up. I really wanted to say Thank You for the encouragment & helpful hints you've given me in my "learning to become a runner." I completed my first full in late Sept. and must say it is right up there with one of the best days of my life.
I am saddened for you by your recent post but know that you are a very smart runner and will do what it takes to get healthy.
Take care of yourself and always remember Phil. 3:12. It applies in many ways...
Kristi B.
Thank you Linda and Kristi for your encouragement. I really need it these days.
Kristi, congrats on your first marathon! Which was it? Did you blog about it? Hope all is well with you Joel and the kids.
Linda, how is retirement?
Post a Comment