Maybe Never; sigh! OK, this is a whiny blog but it’s how I am feeling these days.
2010 was an incredible running year for me. Up to that year, I had brought my number of ultras per year up to close to 20 a year (2007-19, 2008-19, 2009-20). In 2010 I went physco and ran 30 ultras in a year including 8x50 milers, 4x100 milers and a 150 miler for good measure. Was this the start or maybe the pinnacle of my “middle age crazy” period of life? I did turn 50 years old that year after all. I mean, who plans a visit to the grand kids around a 100 mile race that just happens to be “on the way?” From my perspective, who wouldn’t!
At the end of 2010, my ultra count was up to 177. Well, 23 ultras in 2011 didn’t seem out of the realm of possibility. Knowing we would be moving to Anchorage, AK, I knew I would be limited in ultras available to me – that is without leaving the state. I was able to run 15 ultras last year bringing my total up to 192. Of course, most of those races were in WA as we didn’t move up until June.
With the end of the 2012 running season already here in Alaska, my count of 5 ultras will find me short of the elusive #200. My total is now at 197.
<== Click on image to make larger
I’d like to get the 200th behind me. I KNOW, it’s just a number…but if it gets behind me, I won’t have it stuck in my frontal lobe, taunting me … just being rude, ya know! So where does that lead me? Races for 2013:
Jan 5th: Frosty Bottom 50M – Yes.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.us/FrostyBottom.html Feb 16th: Susitna 50K/100M – No. It’s cancelled in 2013.
http://www.susitna100.com/
Feb 24th: ITI 350M – Yes (finishing is the BIG question mark)
http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/race_roster.html
Mar 16th: Homer Epic 100K – Yes. (I think. This will be last minute based on ITI)
http://kachemaknordicskiclub.org/2012-13-events-calendar/homer-epic-100k/Mar 24th: White Mountain 100M – No. Lottery is closed.
http://www.whitemountains100.org/
June 29th: Sluice Box 100M – Maybe.
http://www.sluicebox100.com/
July 26th: Resurrection Pass 100M – Yes. (assuming they are still putting it on. ? this year).
http://www.respassultras.org/
Sep 14th/21st: Equinox 40M – Yes.
http://www.equinoxmarathon.org/
So, #200 SHOULD happen sometime next year. Maybe as early as March; Maybe in September. Then all I’ll have to think about is when #100 will happen – 100 marathons that is. I’m up to 71 and since I only run 2 or 3 a year, this could be in say 10, 15 years. Yeah, I’m not holding my breath at this point.
Happy running!

No comments:
Post a Comment