Monday, November 17, 2008

Autumn Leaves 50M

Autumn Leaves went well. I'm still having energy issues that I need to work on. I'm not sure why the issues are showing up so prominently these days (getting old?) ... I can't blame everything on aging so I'll continue to work on the issue. I wrote Meghan Arbogast (http://runningmegleg.blogspot.com/) to get advice on what she uses (what kind of liquid energy). I can't seem to run hard with solid foods so I either bonk or have run slower. This weekend I chose to try and make it on low fuel (GUs and fruit).

I was able to keep a fairly consistent 8:30 pace for the first 30 miles, then my energy started to wane. The next 5 mile loop was in about 9 minute pace. From there I really went down hill. Lap 8 - 9:35 pace; lap 9 - 10:15 pace; and lap 10 - 10:55 pace.

I was happy with my overall run though. I didn't feel like I was in my best shape to race since work has gotten into the way of training (how dare they ;-) ... but I truly think I could have come close to setting a PR if I could have kept the energy level up. My legs had so much left in them at the end. In hind sight, I should have downed a Frappacino after lap 7. I wasn't sure how my stomach would handle it but with my slow pace anyway, it wouldn't have mattered and may have gotten me through.

Through the halfway point, I ran a 3:32 (about a 3:42 marathon). At that pace, which felt easy, I should have run a 7:05 (a 7:15 with a slight slow down). Through 30 miles I ran just under 4:15 (about a 4:25 50K).

All in all, I'm please with my conditioning and had a great time out on the course. We had wonderful weather (the first time I've run this one without rain), and plenty of pleasant folks at the aid stations.

*tc

5 comments:

Ronda said...

Good to see you out there on Saturday. On the liquid fuel: I use the Ultragen by First Endurance. This is a recovery drink but as I researched the absorbtion of other stuff it became clear this was better simply because it is designed to work fast. I used formulas to determine how much I would need based on my body weight. I needed 7 grams of protein to absorb the the carbs for my body weight. I did it for a couple of friends both weighing about 150 pounds and they needed 10 grams so that meant we they would use one scoop (1/2 the recommended dose). We put this in about 10 oz of water. It is awesome fuel with everything you need for good digestion. I used it at all my races this last year and had great energy. After I drank the 10 oz of Ultragen I would pop a gel, banana or sweet potatoe 20 minutes later. I drank this combo about every 2.5 hours.

Jon said...

How was the course now since the construction? (Note to self: Provide Frappacino's for next event).

Tony C said...

Jon, the construction added asphalt bike path where there was grass ... personally, I liked that. I wish the whole course was on asphalt; though the 'trail' (if you can call it that, didn't slow me down.

Hard headedness kept me from drinking the Frapp partly. I don't like to 'stop' when I'm on a roll. Bending over (while it seems like it's a small thing) really messes with my hamstrings ... and it's hard to get going at 8:30 pace again (whine, whine)! I didn't even stop for water. I handed off my bottle on the run to the 2nd AS folks and they had it filled when I returned from the out-n-back.

I'm going to try Ronda's suggestion of using Ultragen and see if that helps.

Later *tc

King Arthur said...

Or maybe it was that 7:35 50 miler you ran. That sounds fast to me. Great job down there.

seagull junker said...

hopefully gayman got back to you.

and yes, ronda, stacy and michael know exactly what to do with fueling. i don't think they ever really have a bad race.

happy holidays tc

tom