Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Pre-race - WSU 100K

I'm healing fine as long as I stay away from accelerating (a tendancy I have to overcome when running hills - for the time being anyway).

Even though I don't plan to race the 100K, a decent run/time will win this for me. Van will likely be my only competiton (although Shawn is getting faster all the time) . If it comes down to having to "push it" in order to beat her, I'll back off ... it's not a race for me; it's not a race for me; it's not a race for me! There, I think I've got it. Maybe our carpool will take 1-3 like at the 6 hour - hmmmm!

If the hamstring acts up, I could be out there for 12 hours or more. I hope not ... we have a long drive home on Sunday.

Things necessary for a successful training run at WSU:
- Nice weather (not too cold/no snow please)
- Cooperative hamstring
- Cooperative stomach

On the stomach topic, I've been trying things out food wise at recent long runs and races. So, if you're wondering why I'm nausious a lot, that's why (and like Olga says, I'm getting old). I tend to run lean on fuel and that works for me. However, in 100 milers, I get a bit too lean. I'm working towards getting enough food early on in a 100 to carry me through. I just need to figure out the right balance. Sunday, I will go back to running lean - eating mostly GU.



*tc

7 comments:

Olga said...

I never said you're getting old...I said we both are:) I eat gu's and carb mix in a bottle only, can't stand any food at all, neither mentally, nor to process. And I don't believe you'll be out for 12 hrs, although crap happens, but I hope it won't this time, and your stomach and hammy will cooperate.

Anonymous said...

I can' seem to get interested in a lot of solid food either. I have been adding some Cliff Shot Blocks to the gels and Perpetuem recently. They are in between gel and solid food and give a little variety.

I met a runing buddy of yours today. I was running back to Seattle from Green Lake and we were stopped while the Fremont Bridge to let a sailboat by. He saw my new Chuckanut shirt and said a friend of his had run it several times. I asked who and he said your name. I didn't get his name before the bridge opened but I think he said he was heading back to King TV along Dexter. Let me know if you know who it was, stevestoyles@msn.com.

Good luck at WSU.

Steve Stoyles

King Arthur said...

Dang I wish I was going with you guys! I'm feeling a bit too rested. I haven't run hard or long since ChuckaPac.

Good luck over there.

Arthur

Journey to a Centum said...

All of us who are not signed up have 100K envy. Have a good race!

I'm thinking about beef brisket tacos as a race food. Perhaps you would like them with some GU on them. Seriously I hope you are able to find a happy medium that will allow you to run lean in your old age but give you the energy to actually feel strong at some point in the last 40 miles of WS.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

And then there were two...
Good Luck Tony and Van! We'll all be rooting for the West side to make a good showing over there :)

Jon said...

Rock and Roll @ WSU, but try to keep something intact for WS100! :-D

Lisa B said...

Hey tc - Best of luck at WSU! Maybe I'll try to get down there to cheer you guys on. You're lucky I didn't enter too...or I'd be your biggest competition and you'd be feeling those hams...! (just kidding, of course). :)
-Lisa