Friday, April 21, 2006

Marathon Maniac Entry (3-17-2006)

Bloggers ... I'm adding this entry the MM buliten board for continuity.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've noted that there are a lot of beaten up bodies out on the trails and roads lately. Some due to over training (me), some to over racing (you know who you are), and some to falling down (dare I mention names? ;-).Along with my huge learning curve in running, I've found that life lessons can take time to sink in for me as well. One thing I've learned is that I can't tell someone what to do or how to do it and expect them to listen to me ... everyone reacts to things differently and learn in different ways, etc. What I know that I can do is tell you (the ubiquitous you) about my experiences. Because they are mine, you can't really argue with them. So, at the risk of showing the chinks in my armor, I'll let you know where I am today. First, I'll go back to the Seattle Marathon (11-18-05) and the post I wrote on this BB about that race. I was sure that I was in shape to run a sub 3 marathon. I should have gone to Tri-Cities (would have, should have, I know). Anyway, I still thought I had a shot at a sub 3 at Seattle but found myself over trained on "speed." It was a positive race from a mental psyche point of view but I had some physical healing to do. I had planned on running Birch Bay (the December version) but my wife had other ideas. Her spontaneity doesn’t mix with my well planned out race schedule. However, in order to keep my SPOF at a minimum, I went (kicking and screaming) with the flow. We added a last minute road trip to Arizona at the end of the year which allowed me to rest up and get fat and get fat I did - (I gained like 8 pounds in December). Unfortunately, I was a little over a week too early to make it to the Phoenix Rock-n-Roll marathon and the warm dessert roads mocked me whilst I trudged them for short milage.Back in Washington for January, I carried my FA over some very slow miles at Tiger Mt, only half of the Bridle Trails course, and then slowly over the Capital Peaks course. All were slow and I wasn't loosing weight ... even with my resolution to try a New Years resolution (I don't do well with those and had given up on those years ago - however, my daughter wanted to start one and thought it a good idea to have one of my own to share in the commiseration). So I gave up chocolate. I had to "fudge" on that (pun intended) 'cause I had a lot of chocolate energy bars and didn't realize it until I started eating one in a race. Well, needless to say, that lasted into February and then it was all over – about the same time the strange people stopped showing up in the company gym ;-)February brought some more icky cold weather and blew Lord Hill for us (ha, ha, I kill me)! Thanks to Van, the first annual Pigtails run was there to fill in the gap. I still couldn't get to where I felt good and was still having a tough time loosing weight. I went into my "Birch Bay followed by C4P" week feeling slow but relatively healthy. I had great fun at BB, running some - stopping to take pictures - then running some more on the first loop. This is such an easy course, it seems like I'm running a 10 miler. After the first loop, however, there was no one in sight. Rounding the aid station, I saw Rub' C. and thought I'd take a shot at closing the gap on him before the hill - about 3 miles more out. I caught him and another guy on the uphill (that's so fun - sorry Rub' but you got your revenge). I flew on the downhill and was having a blast. I cruised along and was ready to finish at the last aid station (23 miles in). Suddenly, Ruben passed me like I was standing still. Sheesh! I would say, "No respect," but he's older than I so I had nothing to say. Then he proceeds to put 2 minutes on me before the finish – that’s just plain rude (tongue in cheek). Having no idea what time I was running (probably sub 3:20 I guessed), I was happy when I came across the line in 3:14. That was the easiest 3:14 I've ever run ... which made me feel good about my progression. My legs were spent but I didn't feel any pains or abnormalities. Still fat, I felt good going into C4P with some tired but stable legs. Not how my pre-2006 plans were played out in my head (not even close) but on a positive note non-the-less. Speaking of plans for the year, here were my thoughts going in:I had a good year in 2005, able to race the WWFA (5:29 PR), BT (4:37 PR), BB marathon (3:02 uncertified - Negative splits & 2nd fastest time ever for me), an awesome C4P - being in the top 10 list and running over 125 miles on the same week I had run the 3:02, and rounding that out with a Chuckanut time of 4:49 PR. So far this year, I'm zero for a bunch on even coming close to any of those times. Admittedly, I haven't raced any of these but I had intended on racing some of them and shooting for a sub 3 at BB. Age and wisdom got the best of me and I have decided to wait until I am ready to race to actually attempt to race. After a tough, albeit fun, C4P, I've been slowly struggling with aches and pains and know that I cannot race Chuckanut this year. I also had secret ambitions of going down to Pac Rim and running with Rob Hestor for the rest of the evening and all night. I decided at the end of last week that THAT too was off. I really have to think long term and have no business trying to do anything "Maniacal" feeling the way I am.I was having hip pains the first week after C4P, which shifted to my buttocks in the form of a kind of charlie horse. I started to get discouraged last week, especially after weighing in at 148 (the same 8 pounds over weight as in January 1st). Luckily, the weight thing was just water weight as I was down to 142 by Thursday (see, we guys retain water too)! I resigned myself to just running Chuckanut ... in the meantime, my wife is out of town visiting her father who is gravely ill. She has extended her stay in San Antonio which would have been an opportune time to change my mind and head down to Longview and run with Rob ... "No!" wipe that out of my mind. I'm still in no condition to do anything Maniacal.So, with 2 1/2 months of the year behind me, I still don't know when I will be ready to race my first race. I'll see how tomorrow goes before deciding on how I will attack the downhills at YCRM; to decide on how to run the Cap Peak 50M; to decide on whether to race Mt Si or not; to see if ... you get the picture. I have to take it one race at a time and a week's worth of training at a time. I've been stretching religiously, taking my runs slow to medium and my literal "pain-in-the-butt" is all but gone. I plan to continue with the extra stretching and to do some weight and ab work as I attempt to get strong again. I'm pretty happy with my weight and my craving for chocolate (now that I allowed myself to fall off the wagon) has left me.I hope to see and here good things from some of you on the trail and on the road in the near future. Take care of you and I promise to take care of me!

No comments: